HOUSING: EDEN ISSEI TERRACE
Eden Issei Terrace (EIT) is a 100-unit senior apartment housing in Hayward. Subsidized rents are available through the Section 8 program, of the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for residents who qualify.
There are 74 one-bedrooms, and 25 studio apartments available for citizens and legal residents with at least one household member 62-years of age or older, or if not yet 62, whose lifestyle is compatible with that of the elder community.
Each apartment has a full kitchen (electric range, refrigerator and garbage disposal), bathroom and balcony or patio (1st floor). Common area amenities include a dining room/multi-use room, lobby, lounge, laundry room, meeting room, outdoor walkways, koi pond and garden, and a beauty salon.
J-Sei is the co-sponsor of EIT designed and built with the support of the Japanese American community. It has been open since 1983.
Lunch is served Monday through Friday. The lunch program is mandatory as a part of residency, under the auspices of HUD regulations. There are also recreational, social and educational activities such as exercise classes, bingo, and informative presentations. All residents must be able to live independently. The maximum number of persons who may occupy a studio is 2, and the maximum for the one-bedroom is 3.
- At least one member of the household must be 62 years of age at the time the applicant is ready to fill a vacancy.
- Applicants are put on a waiting list in the order the applicant(s) applied. Applications are processed and vacancies are filled once verification of information and identification interviews are completed.
- The waiting list is open for new applications generally from April 1st through June 30th of each year.
- To be eligible your income and assets cannot exceed the qualifying income limit set by HUD. To continue in the subsidized rent category you must attend an annual recertification interview to verify that your eligibility is current. Anyone who is no longer eligible for rent subsidy is allowed to remain a resident, but must pay the higher rent to the maximum HUD-approved Market Rent.
- Initial occupancy is on a one-year lease, thereafter the lease becomes a month-to-month lease unless renewed for a subsequent 1-year term.
- Five (5) wheelchair handicap accessible units are available on the ground floor towards the front of the building. If you wish to be considered for a handicap accessible unit, please state so at the time of application. The building has 2 elevators which serve the 2nd and 3rd floors for all the other units.
SUBSIDIZED RENT AND HUD MARKET RENT
Under the HUD Section 8 Housing Assistance Program, residents who qualify pay 30 percent of their adjusted monthly income for their Rent. All initial occupants must be Section 8 eligible. Thereafter, if your financial/asset situation changes, you may remain a tenant, but will be charged the going HUD Market Rent. All tenant portion of the rent includes heat, water and garbage removal. Tenants pay for electricity.
Eden Issei Terrace
200 Fagundes Court
Hayward, CA 94544
Eden Issei Terrace